«Sportivnaya» is a Moscow metro station on the Sokolnicheskaya line. Connected by a transfer with the Luzhniki station on the Moscow Central Circle. Located in the Khamovniki district (CAD); named after the Luzhniki sports complex. It was opened on May 1, 1957 as part of the «Park Kultury» — «Sportivnaya» section. Pylon deep three-vaulted station with one island platform.
The station was opened on May 1, 1957 as part of the «Park Kultury» — «Sportivnaya» section, after the commissioning of which there were 43 stations in the Moscow metro. The station got its name from the nearby sports complex «Luzhniki» (formerly the Central Lenin Stadium). The stadium was erected in 1955-1956 and opened on July 31, 1956 in the historical area of Luzhniki opposite Vorobyovy Gory, on the site of the former Luzhniki tract — a low-lying meadow area flooded during floods (the dialect word «Luzhniki» meant «meadows with lakes between them «). On the territory of the Luzhniki Stadium there were also the «sovereign’s meadows», and the village of Luzhnikovo (named in the letter of 1472), and the Luzhnetskaya outpost at the gates of the Kamer-Kollezhsky Val. In the 17th century, the area was known as Luzhniki Malye Novodevichy. In Moscow, there were other Luzhniki: Luzhniki Malye Krymskie between the Crimean bridge and Yakimanka, Bolshiye Luzhniki in the area of the current Bakhrushin street and Vishnyakovsky lane.
In 1991, the station was proposed to be renamed Luzhniki.